Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sometimes I get it right. Really right.

I've jumped back into my drowning office, and that's made me more thankful for our super fast trip to see Mimi.  

I've been all kinds of emotional lately.  So much so that I'm not sure Jason is believing me when I swear little last is not on his or her way yet.  Trust me.  Not yet.

I think it's a myriad of stress, love, less sleep, and more love.  It's all a bit overwhelming at times. 

We've never been big vacation planers, Jason and I.  I get it natural, Jason gets it by default in hating planning.  Normally we pick a place, set a budget will will surely exceed, and go.  We haven't even picked our dates or flights for Hawaii in July.  It just hit me yesterday that my mom, her sister and niece went on an impromptu trip to the beach the weekend before last.  It's not just her love of crafting flowing through my veins.   

Back to our trip.  I should first say how thankful I am for my husband who tolerates my slightly psychotic work schedule, followed by a 48 hour whirlwind beach trip.  Flying standby.  With an 18 month old.  Did I mention I came home to all the laundry done today?  I mean it when I say thankful. 

Second, I should talk about how awesome it was to feel the sand under our feet and smell the salty Florida air, if only for a couple of days.  From the flight down I pretended I was on a real vacation.  And any day that contains a plain, bus, train and car is a vacation for the H man.

But most importantly, I should say how WONDERFUL it was to see Becky.  Just plain awesome.  Every trip we've ever taken there has been contemplated and planned.  Not that we don't love those trips, but this spur of the moment visit with Becky was laced with a little extra special.  Maybe because we didn't have all kinds of holiday plans?  We just sat around and visited for the most part.

As far as the itinerary, we landed Friday night and H made a perfect transition from sleeping in my arms on the flight, to sleeping in the stroller, to sleeping in the car, to sleeping in the pack-n-play.  God love that super sleeper of ours.  We sat up too late talking, and all slept in a bit Saturday.  A little before 9 Becky got a text that Zoom Tan had $5 spray tans for Cinco De Mayo.  We decided that was a perfect outing for when Hardin napped.  From the picture below... you can see I got my 5 bucks worth.  How cool is it that I have a mother-in-law who thinks a trip to the spray tan booth is a perfect nap time activity? 

We walked across the street for lunch at the golf club.  Hardin ran around the putting green stealing the flags for a bit.  That night we went to Blue Coyote, a neat little super club on the river, for an early dinner.  Hardin hated the food and loved the boats.  We went on a walk down to the river before we put H to bed. 

Sunday we headed to Captiva when H was ready for his morning nap.  He slept the whole way there, and then we played in the water for a few minutes.  We had lunch outside at the Mucky Duck, and then headed to Mimi's for showers and nap for the babe.

On the flight home Sunday night we were separated, and needless to say I took H and the window seat.   As I sat their holding my boy, it hit me that I hadn't held him for an hour and a half straight in a very long long time.  Then I started thinking about how Becky must feel when she sees her adult boys.  Then I just plain lost it and had to pretend I was looking out the window at clouds for a while.

As schedules get busier, and babies get bigger and hopefully joined by another, the opportunities for quick trips may become fewer and farther between.  I sure hope we'll continue to take the plunge when we can!



1 comment:

  1. Very sweet Tiff. So glad y'all had that trip to give you a break from the crazy life.

    ReplyDelete