Friday, September 9, 2011

Sick and Sore and Extra Baths

Hardin is sick, Jason is sick and I am sore.  H picked up a little head cold and gave it to daddy.  No fever but some pretty serious drainage.  It is so frustrating not being able to tell him how to blow his nose.  I make really quick loud sniffing noises and he mimics me, which helps get the saline drops back, but he's just too little to understand anything else.  His mood has been okay, he's still silly and laughing a lot, but he also has a VERY short fuse and can turn fussy faster than his little sneezes.  I'd be fussy too if I had no way of knowing it would all be over soon.

He also SCREAMS bloody murder when you approach his crib.  This is a far cry from super sleeper so we've not really known what to do.  He's napped with me and been rocked all the way to sleep the rest of the time.  I certainly can't handle the thought of him feeling alone and confused and scared when he's feeling so bad physically.  So really he can have whatever he wants right now.   

One thing he is loving about this little bug are the extra warm baths.  They help so much to calm him down and loosen the funk. 

I had my fifth, and hopefully final, surgery Wednesday.  I'll save you the story of my colossal three year old crying fit slight post op breakdown.  For the most part I am pretty optimistic.  I ended up with a completely different surgery involving a weird rubber band system on each side of the muscle leading to the cyst to basically stop any circulation that would make it form again.  It was more complicated than what I went in for and has left me substantially more sore than the previous ones.  Hopefully that means it worked!

One thing I am loving about all this healing are the daily bath soaks with epsom salt after H goes down.  Doc didn't insist on me having a glass of wine with said mandatory baths, but I have taken it upon myself to add that to the mix.  I've also read more of my non-parenting book than I have in quite some time.  Through 8 months of surgery, I've been prescribed every pain medication imaginable.  I hate them all and the way they make me feel so I don't take them.  I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure the bath/book/wine combo is my key to successful healing!

Seriously, I just took a 73 minute bath.  Jason came in because he thought I fell asleep.  I was so into The Help I didn't even care that the water was ice cold.  How awesome is that?  

The only other exciting event of the week was a visit from Pop.  I'm not sure what he enjoyed more, watching Hardin crawl and cruise all over the place, or talking golf and Georgia football with Jason.  I'm sure one day when H can join in on the sports talk it will be just perfect for him.  

Three generations of McWhorter men ignoring me.

Sometimes daddy buttons me up all wrong... or not at all on top.
And sometimes I feed the driveway as much of my frozen yobaby as I feed myself. 

But I sure do have fun, stuffy nose and all!

3 comments:

  1. Even sick and stuffy, he sure is cute...and so is that little outfit! Hope your house is back to healthy very soon. Have you gone to see The Help yet? If not, you'll have to go once you finish the book...they did a great job with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, when everyone is sick and sore, there's only one way to go...back up to healthy. Hope y'all are all feeling better soon.

    Love the one of the 3 McWhorter boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure hoping that surgery stuff is OVER for good. And that sweet H gets back to 100% soon. That picture of the 3 boys "ignoring" you got me so tickled!

    ReplyDelete